campusflava

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fame won’t stop me from getting my degree–Sossi

Agboluaje Babatunde also known as Sossi is an up and coming artiste signed to Bugatti.

How have you managed to cope with your academics and also your status as a celebrity?

It has not been easy at all. I have been working on myself for years and I have always known that education is key in my life. I understand that people have been saying a lot of things about me on social media, especially about my education. My education is a priority and so is my music but they are not clashing. I have a year left of my four-year course at the University of Lagos and I am concentrating on my music as well.

Has it occurred to you that you sound like Wizkid?

I have heard people say that countless times and I have addressed it as many times as possible in the few interviews I have granted that there is no such thing in my career. People say that because there is no face to my music yet. I mean, I am still new in the game and I am working with my record label on a new stuff. I just released my single, My Boo. I have also shot the video of the single which was directed by Aje Film Works in Ghana. We will be releasing the video in a matter of days and I am sure that by the time people start seeing my face, they will stop saying that I sound like Wizkid.

But does Wizkid influence your music in any way?

Wizkid is doing great at the moment. He has virtually become a global brand and I am happy for him. I am gradually building my brand as well with the help of my record label, BRG. We are breaking into the music industry with a big bang and I respect everybody who has come before me. They have done a good job by providing a platform for most of us who are just coming up but the truth is that we are not joking. I listen to Wizkid’s music, everybody does but I don’t think I am influenced by his work. I am just doing my music the way I want it to be done.

Would you prefer a duet with him?

I will love to work with many artistes who appreciate good music. I understand Wizkid does and some other guys too in the industry but the only person I have always dreamt to work with is Tuface Idibia. I am humbled by his humility and the success he has recorded so far in the industry. That’s the kind of person I love to work with. When the time comes, I know the opportunity to work with him will present itself.

How did you start your career in music?

Music is something that makes me happy when I am listening to it. I could see people deriving joy from it when I was growing up too. I would say it started growing in me while I was still a kid until I fell in love with the sound of different songs especially the older generation of musicians. I didn’t know it would be something that would later form a big part of my life. Sometimes you just find yourself loving something subconsciously and before you know it, it has grown to become something that takes over your mind.

How did you convince your parents about your choice of career?

There was not really anything to convince them about because I didn’t let them know in the first place because I was scared. But after a while, my mum who happens to be my number one fan asked me if I was sure music was what I wanted to do, and I told her yes. So, she gave me her blessings. And of course, it hasn’t been affecting my studies. The two have been going well together without any hitch. My dad is a business man and he’s always very busy. I didn’t really grow up with my dad because he was always on the road and travelling here and there for one business or the other. When my father started seeing what I have been up to on the television and on social media, he said he was happy that I am doing something for myself and he’s happy that I have got to this stage.

We learnt the deal with your record label comes with an apartment in Lekki ( Lagos) and a brand new Porsche Cayenne SUV?

Yes, it is true but they also showed me that we have got the same target and vision. That’s the reason I feel we have got this same great taste for good music and its production. It’s my first professional deal. It was more or less like magic when they brought the offer to the table. I am still surprised as we speak now. The offer shocked me. Right now, all I need to do is keep working hard and allow them to handle their part. Right now, I am working on my weak points so that there won’t be any lapses in the long run. I know I have got what it takes to move my music to the next level with the help of my record label.

How do you want to handle fame and women now that you are gradually coming up?

I am just going to concentrate on my work. I am not new to fame and I believe it is just a phase in my life that I have to pass through. It won’t get to my head for one minute. And, as regards women, I will like to say music is my life right now, no women. I don’t have time for them now. When I get to that stage, I will handle them. My voice is my strongest point and I know it will take me to places.

Would you abandon your studies because of fame?

I cherish education and I won’t trade it for anything. I am in my third year. I have just one year to go. Why should I drop out of school because of fame? Fame can’t stop my education.

No comments: