campusflava

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Good structure necessary for business success

Twenty-seven-year-old Temitope Oluwole is the Managing Director of La Porsche Cakes, Confectionery and Catering. She told PETER OKEUGO why she left a career in advertising to run confectionery services

Did you study hotel and catering management in the university?

I attended Olabisi Onabanjo University where I studied mass communication. I graduated in 2007/2008 but I served in 2010. Within the interlude, I was looking for what I could do with my hands. I developed my passion for cake making before my national youth service year.

How did you develop the passion for cake making?

I took this up from my mother because she was into catering. She did the bigger part of the catering job but she is no longer passionate about it and I had to take it up from her.

I had the challenge of unemployment. It was difficult getting a job and the ones I got were not satisfying and fulfilling the way I wanted it. I had menial jobs then. I thought about it and decided that I did not want to be anyone’s employee. I was good at what I did so I decided to develop my passion.

Did you have the support of your family?

Yes I had the support of my family. When I started, I tried to develop myself and went through trainings. I had people that supported me, and I did cakes for free for people. Whenever we had functions in church, I did cakes for free so that people would also critique my work and tell me how I did.

I also had the support of my siblings. My first birthday gift from my family was an industrial mixer. They supported me because they believed in my dream. Prior to that, I did my mixing with my hands. They knew that I would do better with the support. If I did not have my passion and their support, I do not think I would have been where I am today.

Did you have any challenges initially?

Every business has challenges. I have always been strong and up-and-doing. In my first and second years of trying to put my business together, I tried to do a lot of things at once and they were not working out.

I just needed to be strong. I made some mistakes initially when mixing and I had to discard my works because I wanted to deliver the perfect cakes to people. I kept at it and I became better. I had challenges but I was able to manage them properly.

What else do you do apart from cake making?

I do dress consultation too, but that is by the side. Cake making is the main part of my business.

How long have you been in the business?

This is my fourth year. It has been wonderful and I thank God for where he is taking me. My passion keeps growing every day, and I am happy when I get referrals every day. It is the joy of every food maker to get compliments and referrals from people.

What inspired the name La Porsche?

There was a day I was thinking of a business name. I saw some very common names and I needed a name to stand me out because I am very classy. I thought about the things I do, which included dress consulting, catering, cake making and I knew I had a touch of class in everything I did.

I noticed that people complimented me on the way I dressed too. So I decided to bring it into my business. I saw names like Posh on the street, but I decided to coin mine from the car, since Porsche is very classy. I added the La to it and came up with La Porsche.

What are the factors that crumble a business at the starting stage?

One of the things that crumble a business is lack of standard and structure. I attended seminars in my church, Daystar Christian Centre, and I listened to my pastor talk about starting with what you have. I got the ideas I needed and sold my ideas to people and they bought into it.

Lack of planning could also crumble a business. I took my business seriously and never mixed business with pleasure or relationships. Having a good structure, vision and plan is necessary for the success of a business, before execution.

Do you have any regret not practising your profession?

I do not have any regret not practicing at all. I had in mind to work in an advertising firm. I also wanted to offer my services for free at the places I applied to but because of the situation in the country, people thought I was desperate for a job since I wanted to offer my services for free.

I knew I was hardworking but the jobs were not forthcoming. The ones that came were not good enough to make me stand out as a role model that I wanted to be. I did work at some places but I was not fulfilled like I am now.

Do you see yourself working in the future as a dress consultant?

Yes I do, because that is also part of my business. I grew among four sisters and watched them dress and stand out in the crowd. It is something I am looking at to expand in the near future. I love fashion and it reflects in the way I do things. I do not like it when a young lady does not know how to dress.

How do you handle competition in the confectionery industry?

Before I started my business, I knew there would be competition. I am always determined to do whatever I set my mind to do. I saw the competition but I did not let it weigh me down at any time.

I believe that my work is unique and I always refer people to other places so they could see what others do. I am very confident that my work stands out. I believe what is mine is mine and it cannot be taken away from me.

How do you encourage people?

Sometimes I organise free trainings for people because I believe that if I keep what I have and what I know, I will not be able to get another one.

What makes your products different from those of others?

I do not really have a special recipe that I use but before I start up anything, I commit it to God in prayers. I told God that I wanted to be outstanding before I started my business, so I have that God factor in my business. And as a confirmation, I get compliments and referrals from people.

How did you develop yourself?

After I learnt cake making from my mum, I underwent some other training and learnt the things I did not know. I also learnt the art of decoration. I needed to meet up with the standards of the modern world. I had to improve myself through seminars and workshops.

I also attended Daystar Skill Acquisition Programme also known as DSAP in 2011. It was organised by my church. I enrolled for the cake making class. After that I attended Mix n Bakes confectionaries. That was where I perfected my art of cake making.

Where do you see yourself in the future?

I see myself going global. It is something I dream and I will see it happen. I would run my business on international levels in five years.

What advice do you have for up and coming entrepreneurs?

They should put God first in everything they do. They should search deep inside them and find the gift inside. Everyone has a gift. There is something that makes them unique from every other person. That is where their wealth is hidden.

Please do share this with your friends on facebook, google+ and twitter, using the share and like buttons below.


No comments: