campusflava

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mbamalu, 20, dares scientists to evaluate his invented jet

The name of Chinedu King Mbamalu may not ring a bell. But the young man from Anambra State thinks it is only a matter of time, and the world will know what he has to offer.

He is just a school certificate holder. But Mbamalu has a tall ambition to be a great inventor. He has performed the rare feat of inventing “a jet propelled engine system which offers a better efficiency at sub-sonic and hypersonic speed.”

Mbamalu is only 20, but his thinking process is far beyond his age. He supplies all answers to questions with effortlessly. But his intellectual prowess did not reflect so much in his academic performance. This, he said, was because of his obsession with inventions. According to him, much of his time was spent on his project rather than in his books.

N.B Visit www.campusflava.com for updates and information related to other schools.  

His passion put him at cross-purposes with his relations, especially his father who feels that he should further his education. But Mbamalu says he is not perturbed because at the end of the day both those for and against him will be better for it. He spoke with Daily Sun: “I am from Anambra State. I am a researcher and inventor. I am the inventor of an engine system that I call the VCCFIJ which is short for Varying Combined Circle Fuel Internal Jet.

“It is a jet proportioned system. Jet engines are in accordance with Newton’s laws of motion, and emit gasses that generate thrust. As a jet proportioned system, it offers a better efficiency, at sub-sonic and hyper-sonic speed that is designed for VCCFIJ. It doesn’t have the inherent problems of the current jet proportioned systems like overheating and some other problems that they face.

“I have been working on the VCCFIJ for two intensive years. I have been able to come up with something of international credence. The stage which I am now, which is the calculation and calibration stage, I have to work with someone. We have been able to come up with something reasonable enough in the calculations.

That is where I am currently.
“I have been trying to get people convinced about what I have been able to come up with. I am a school leaver and I have always had this obsession for jet proportioned systems from my secondary school days. In fact, I have been finding it hard to concentrate during classes while in school because I basically began my research in secondary school.

“My obsession with deep science or the higher science began from when I was in secondary school. It affected my performance considerably, but that did not hold me back. I have been researching and applying the laws of physics and utilizing my knowledge, using research materials from the internet and experts. I have been able to come up with something that will meet the standards of any system in the world.

“That is exactly why I want evaluators, sponsors, experts. People who could actually look at this proportioned system and understand what I am talking about. Basically, people cannot understand how a school leaver would come up with something as complex as a jet proportioned system, claiming that it is better than any other systems in most areas like efficiency, specific impulse, thrust to weight ratio, being able to operate from sub-sonic, to super-sonic, to hyper-sonic speed now. People are very skeptical about it.

“I don’t have a patent right yet, but I wanted to file for a patent here in Nigeria with NOTAP, the agency that is responsible for patents in the country. For some technical reasons I dropped that bid for patent. Actually, I am looking at a situation whereby I would have able sponsors who would be able to subject the jet proportion systems to professional evaluation, and then be able to give reasonable conclusion on it.”

Fear of being shortchanged
“I have a lawyer whom I have been working with. I want to have sponsors who are willing and ready to evaluate this, with the promise of taking it up, and sponsoring the project and developing it. Then we will sign a disclosure agreement with them before we procure a patent. In the meantime, during the evaluation, it will remain under that agreement which states that the contents of the signed agreement will not be disclosed. I think that is enough protection before a patent.”

Sponsors needed
“Sponsors are good-will people who want to develop young minds and talents. When they come, and we have these evaluators around, they would look at this engine because I don’t have a prototype. Prototyping this engine will be very expensive, something that I cannot handle financially. I would need these experts to come in and see the work that I have been able to do. I have engineering drawings and working principles. If they go through all these documents, as experts, they should be able to tell whether what I have done so far is making a meaning.

“What I have been able to come up with is the theoretical part, the part which experts study in schools. When we subject this engine to test, we would be able to have a prototype and then tell that this is what it is able to do. Any expert in the field, given an engineering drawing and working principles should be able to tell the performance of an engine.”

Poor educational system
“The educational system is poor. It goes down to a lot of things in the country. It takes the person to go an extra mile, and take unethical routes to break through. There are a couple of people who have been able to break through, and have been able to come to limelight. “I have met so many difficulties on the way. I have been under immense pressure to return to school, to higher institution. Even if I were able to do that, because of my choice, I would not have been able to study in the country. It takes one to go an extra mile to get into the market because on a general note, inventors are not taken seriously.

“Even in the US they are never taken seriously. They are always seen as clownish and eccentric persons. To succeed, an inventor must be ready to be a risk-taker. An invention might look good on paper, but when you do the prototype, you might realize that it is not what it is. It is a very risky venture. It is something that if you get it right, you are a winner, but if you get it wrong, you have lost. I am only trying to be a professional, but there is another part to the issue. I have certain convictions that I am doing the right thing. I understand what I am doing and I am very confident that I have a system that will beat all other systems in existence. That has been proven by me, and will soon be proven by experts.

“I am not a material scientist. Until we have experts like material scientists coming in, and other experts who know what the market costs of engines, we would know what the price is, and get an estimate. But now, I might not be able to get an estimate because jet engines are quite expensive systems. We are looking at something that will be in millions of dollars, not in naira. As for evaluators coming into the country, it is the issue of having a sponsor because this is a business opportunity. Anyone who understands that there are economic benefits that he, or she could get from this system, wouldn’t want to let others cash in on it before them. At the stage where I am now, I am willing to work with ready investors. People who are ready to talk to me, and develop this invention.

“We have people who are gifted. It is like someone who goes to music school, and another who is a gifted musician. Someone who goes to music school, is someone who goes to learn the in and out of music. Now a gifted musician comes up and produces a track that is far better than that produced by someone who went to music school. This, he does without even going to music school.

“I believe that gift is credible. Something you can count on to reach certain conditions. Certain people are gifted and can create certain things. This has nothing to do with certificate. It is in them naturally. You can look at the Wright brothers who invented an aircraft. They didn’t go to any school of aero dynamics to study aerospace engineering but they were able to come up with something that worked. So, my educational qualification is immaterial. In fact, it doesn’t bother me because if I have people who understand what it entails, and are able to come down and evaluate what I have.”

No comments: