campusflava

Sunday, June 29, 2014

I needed money to complete my project — Undergraduate

A final year student of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Mr. Iheanacho Michael, was caught in the Emab Plaza bomb blast in Abuja while trying to mop up funds to complete his project.

Michael, a software engineer, told our correspondent that the bomb went off behind him as he went to deliver a message to a customer who was waiting for him in one of the shops at the plaza.

Narrating his ordeal, he said, “I work there as a software engineer. I got a job that has to do with hardware from one of my customers and went to give it to a colleague that works on hardware. I was with him while he was fixing it because the work was taking longer than usual.

“I had to go back to my office to report to the customer on how far we’ve gone so that he would not be worried

“I was descending the staircase when I heard a very loud blast. It happened directly behind me and I had to run so as not to be burnt because there was fire everywhere.

“I saw people struggling to avoid the fire. I also struggled to put some distance between the fire and when I couldn’t move any further, I fell down. I saw one of my friends and beckoned on him to help me up as we continued running.”

When asked if he was a graduate engineer at the plaza, considering the way he spoke, Iheanacho replied, “I am in my final year in FUTO and I’m in my last semester. I just wanted to make some money so that I can finish my project.”

No comments: