campusflava

Saturday, June 28, 2014

My parents encouraged me to be a trained musician –d’muzik

Orungbe Dare, popularly known as D’muzik tells Tunde Ajaja how he was able to combine music with his academics

How did you become an entertainer?

I started from when I was in high school. I was acting, dancing and miming at social gatherings around the school. In fact, I was noticed to the extent that my senior colleagues in school asked me to help them get lyrics and songs to play at social gatherings. That was my first taste of being an entertainer and getting little recognition.

Since you started music in school, did it affect your academics?

Yes. Positively and negatively but it was worth it. I got to know more people including lecturers. I got pleasant gestures and lovely smiles, which made me feel cool and protected. Sometimes I had to record throughout the night and miss some classes. Some fans in school didn’t want to understand you were a student like them; hence, they expected you to be everywhere. I had to set my priorities right.

Campuses used to be very competitive for entertainers, what sacrifices did you make to be relevant?

Sometimes, we were hardly paid to perform and such calls must be answered so as to remain in some good books and failure to show up could puncture one’s chances. People didn’t really want to know or care about what I was going through with my assignment, test or CGPA. Even during exams in night classes, some close friends would still come around to beg me to sing for them. Managing all those situations was not easy then, but I came out stronger. I had to travel to other campuses for shows, which was somehow expensive but worthwhile.

How has your status influenced your friends?

Relationship is key in entertainment, either with fans or personal relationships. I have a lot of friends but none is deemed personal. There are qualities I want my friends to possess, one of which is being ambitious. You know relationship influences our destiny in life, so I am my best friend and I don’t see any reason I shouldn’t get along with everyone. Life is what you make it.

People who are into entertainment are often seen as proud by either colleagues or peers. Has anybody told you before that you are proud?

I cannot judge that by myself, it is a question of perspective. I have a very good self-esteem which could be misconstrued to mean pride to some people. Some people may see me that way and there is little to correct such impression, but within me, I know I am not proud. Self esteem is key in the entertainment industry, so I am conscious of it all the time but it does not translate to pride. No one has told me that before anyway.

Has the influx of female fans affected your own relationship?

Not at all. As an entertainer, you should know how to relate with your fans and be diplomatic so that your private life won’t be ruined. I have learnt how to handle my female fans whilst preserving my own relationship. Their presence around me is a source of inspiration too, so I appreciate them. This has also attracted more people to me and majority of my fans when they know more about me, they become personal friends with me through my personality.

What has kept you going?

Actually, I am a man of positive attitude. Apart from studio work, I read books which have changed my view about certain things in life. It helps me to handle discouragement and disappointment as challenges, but my school has influenced me in many ways to be more focused in life and reach for my goals, most especially my lecturers. They made me understand you can be respected and at the same time be free and simple with your followers.

What has been your relationship with your colleagues that are up and coming?

I was happy the day I signed three artistes on my studio management firm, Temple Studios. There are some other things that I have done for friends and colleagues even at my expense, and it’s always good to be of help. It is part of the price of fame that every celebrity has to pay. You have to always be there for people at any level. Right now, I am a role model to some people and so I have to live up to certain standards.

What are the most scandalous rumours you have heard about yourself?

People say many things, but when I hear some of them, it is not a big deal. Some of them actually happened, but the stories being spread around could be the edited version of what happened. So far, nothing scandalous has been said about me, and I thank God for that. I am careful of the things I pay attention to. It is just like a failed relationship, if it happens, it may lower my mood for a while, but I won’t let it affect my performance or focus.

What has been your best moment till date?

It was the day I won the award of the best hip hop artiste on campus. It was a serious competition, so I was glad to have won. More so, the love shown me meant a lot more, especially from my greatest supporters, mostly my family and friends.

Who is your role model?

Well, it varies. In terms of music business, I prefer D’banj. In terms of music compositions, it’s 2Face; in terms of originality, it’s 9ice, and in terms of movement and uniqueness, I love Chris Brown and Wiz Khalifah. I have a number of them. Nigerian artistes are competing with foreign musicians, so I hope to work with the big names and music producers like Don Jazzy, ID Cabasa, D-tunes and artistes like D’banj, 2face Idibia, Naeto C, Davido, Darey and Sola Allyson.

Were your parents aware of your passion?

I can’t really say they were actually aware at the initial stage, because, I was in a boarding school and I only went home for holidays. So it was kind of a part-time thing at home then, but I remember a particular time, I was about to resume a new term and my parents called me and warned me to be careful the way I sing and shout in bathroom at home, that I may create a wrong impression for people if I do that while in school. So I feel somehow they were aware of my passion and now it is very obvious.

Were they supportive or they tried to persuade you to change your mind?

My family has always been supportive of whatever any of us wish to do or become, but the basic requirement was that education comes before other interests. That was why when I decided to be a musician; they advised that I should make it professional by sponsoring me to study music in school. Even before I wrote my first UTME, my parents paid a local studio so I could learn music production. They never talked me out of my passion even though we had little issue and arguments before they agreed to let me study music in higher institution. All the way, they have been supportive as long as I stayed focus.

No comments: