campusflava

Saturday, July 26, 2014

I love men who wear white sneakers –Toyin Lawani

How did you discover your passion for fashion?

I won’t say that I discovered a passion for fashion. I have always been a fashionable person since I was young, so fashion to me comes naturally. But it got to a point where I realised that I don’t want to be miserable doing what I don’t love doing for a living, so logically, the first option for me was to find solace in what I loved doing, and fashion was there for me. That is why there is no aspect of fashion I have not dived into, from retailing to styling to beauty and even wellbeing. I have always wanted to be a fashion entrepreneur.

Why did you choose to go into fashion designing?

I did not want to become one of those miserable people doing what they don’t love doing for a living, hence I opted for what I loved doing. More so, I didn’t want my talent to waste. I wanted people to benefit from my ideas and expertise. That is one of the reasons I set up my fashion academy. I have plans to do more with the talent God has given me. I went fully professional when I felt I was ready to start making money.

How often do you wear your own creations?

I wear them from time to time. This is my career and I am supposed to make money from it. How will I get clients if I don’t wear what I create? People have to see that you believe in the dream before they start to believe in you or start patronising you. I also love my creations. I only wear what I love. Right now, that is what I am wearing.

Would you say there is a clear-cut difference between being a fashion designer and a tailor?

It is a tricky question. To me, a designer is someone who creates while a tailor is someone who helps them bring their vision to life. One person can also be both. Not all designers know how to sew, but some tailors have grown to become designers.

What makes you different from any other fashion designer?

I design all my pieces from scratch to go in line with whatever the client wants, be it video or red carpet appearances, weddings, etc

How much did you sell the first cloth you made?

That was when I was 16 and it was N5000. I sold the cloth to a fellow student.

What is the most expensive item you have sold and how much did it cost?

I sold an item for N1m and it was a celebrity that bought it. My business is very lucrative, I must say.

Do you think Nigerians prefer to patronise foreign designers or Nigerian designers?

Nigerians prefer foreign designers, I noticed this very early and because my designs have the foreign feel, they love it. I don’t patronise Nigerian designers often because I even wear my own designs.

Do you have a fashion weakness?

I just love everything about fashion. I love the shoes, the bags, the clothes and even the accessories. I just love fashion. I love wearing dresses that I would feel free and I also love wearing trainers.

What is that fashion item you cannot leave home without?

I must go out with my glasses, no matter what. I don’t think I can leave home without it.

What is the most memorable fashion gift you have been given?

A fashion card and diamonds.

What are the common fashion errors Nigerians make?

Nigerians don’t pay attention to details. That is just the major fashion error we make here.

What’s your favourite hairstyle?

I don’t have a favourite in particular. I wear anything that fits me. My schedule might be tight but since I have my own salon, I do my hair every week.

What is your take on ladies exposing their cleavage and wearing skimpy dresses?

One at a time. You can’t expose both. In any case, just go for what suits you.

When stepping out for an event, what are the things you consider?

I always consider the kind of event and I consider if the dress is appropriate for the event, then I am good to go.

How much of make-up do you like?

I hate heavy makeup so I go all day without make-up except when I have to attend events.

What fashion item do you admire on a man?

I love men who wear white sneakers and expensive wrist watches

What are some fashion mistakes Nigerians make especially celebrities that irk you?

I won’t call it a fashion mistake, but I hate to see lace wig. It is nothing personal.

What are the basic fashion rules people should be aware of especially while stepping out for an event?

They should just stand out. That is all that matters.

How do you come up with your design ideas?

I am a deep thinker, I also like to think outside the box. If you have seen my designs, there is something you go back home with, it is unique.

How has it been combining work with being a mother?

It has not been easy being a mum and combining all my businesses but when you have the support of the family, it’s all good.

Would you allow your child do the kind of business you are doing?

Oh yes. I would like to keep the legacy. All parents want the best for their kids, and if this is what makes any of them happy, why not?

How would you describe the Nigerian fashion industry, has it reached its full potential?

Not yet but we are growing gradually. We will get there one day.

In your line of business, you must have been well travelled, how would you rate Nigerians in terms of fashion, how fashionable are Nigerians?

We are actually very fashionable; the good thing is that we are fearless.

You are engaged to a younger man, is there any reason you agreed to be with a younger person?

It is the will of God.

There has been criticism about your relationship with a younger man. Do such talks bother you?

No, it doesn’t really bother me.

No comments: