campusflava

Sunday, July 13, 2014

I love classic style – Jumoke Adenowo

For one who pioneered interior architecture in Nigeria, Jumoke Adenowo’s style is beyond fashion. It is reflected in residential buildings and workplaces, which she designs.

Born in 1968 to parents who were academics, it was a 14-year-old Jumoke, who got admission to study architecture at the then University of Ife. She graduated at 19 and earned an MSc in Architecture from the same institution.

Though certain childhood incidents were part of what aroused her interest in architecture, she also makes mention of her love for creativity. “I chose architecture because I am creative,” she starts.

“I love architecture because it’s all encompassing; a good architect, as a competent leader of the design team, must know a little about everything (law, chemistry, physics, structures, quantities, accounting, and geography) and everything about design.”

The Managing Director, AD Consulting, she designed the Federal Ministry of Finance, Abuja when she was a staff of Femi Majekodunmi Associates.

She founded her firm in 1994.

Enthusing over what has been her passion since she was a child, Adenowo says, “As Louis Kahn said, ‘God is in the details.’ Apart from designing the building and its exteriors, a good interior architect creates an excellent setting for a good interior decorator to work with. The level of detail of our interior architecture distinguishes our buildings. We manipulate space in enthralling ways; I have seen people stop and gasp as they enter the buildings. It is not necessarily about a big budget, it’s about paying attention to detail in the design and execution of built interiors,” she says.

In a continent where women still remain relegated to the background, her passion, she says, pushed her to success.

“I refused to focus on obstacles,” she says. “I was too focused on my passion—architecture and design. I believed if I was diligent and strived for excellence, discerning people would notice one day, and they did.

“However I was, and still am aware that in Africa, to even be considered alongside men in any field, a woman must be so competent that she is simply impossible to ignore. She must be so good that it would be indefensible to relegate her.”

Reflecting on how she broke the gender barrier in a profession like hers, Adenowo, who also hosts a syndicated radio programme, ‘Voice of Change on Leadership,’ explains:

“I try not to give anyone a chance to say, ‘she did not deliver because she is a woman, let’s get a man instead.’ Several years ago, while heavily pregnant with our second son, I had to cover projects in three different states (Abuja, Niger and Kaduna) in one day and returned to Lagos the same day. This was because my husband wanted me back home in Lagos that day.”

Quite challenging for a woman, she reveals her winning streak: “First, it’s my faith in God; then, a firm belief in my gifts and talents and the ability to deliver. Also, the love for what I do. Whenever I am designing, I am in ‘the zone’ and time is suspended. Also, the passion for my profession and a firm assurance that this is my purpose and what I am meant to do at this time.”

According to her, in 2012 and 2013, her firm was solely recommended by the British Chamber of Commerce for architectural services in Nigeria. Her works have been published in international publications alongside some of the world’s leading architectural firms.

Erasing any form of intimidation from men, she says, “We all have one common denominator — we are all human. Why should one human be intimidated by another? Growing up I was daddy’s girl. Girls whose fathers are attentive grow up assertive. I respect authority and I don’t fear anyone but God. That’s just the way I was brought up. I was allowed to have my say— respectfully and appropriately— from the time I could speak. I should add that discrimination is not overt in many professions anymore; it’s now more subtle, usually in the inequity of opportunities.”

Also the founder, Awesome Treasures Foundation; a sense of purpose, she says, motivated the establishment of the non-profit faith-based organisation.

“I was an only child for almost nine years and I had more time to think than most children did. As a three-year-old, I would ponder on questions like, ‘where am I from?’ ‘why am I here?’ One day, I heard a voice in me saying, ‘before you were born you were a dream in my heart.’

“The foundation is mandated to raise transformational leaders. We lead people to discover their purpose and deploy that dream as they take their rightful place and do their own part to change the face of their nation. We started in 1999 and the impact is growing. We have over 5000 trained in skills acquisition, over 150 girls at risk for sexual abuse in our girls’ club have been rescued, and there is an education camp we run for disadvantaged children.”

Married to Olukorede (the union has produced two sons) she confidently tells you that any career woman can succeed in all aspects of life including the home front. Combining a successful career with a successful family life, she opines, springs from having the right partner.

“Marriage is for two people who are helping each other to fulfill destiny. Also, flexibility (in finding your own solutions) is key. I remember 13 years ago, when I was getting ready to head for the airport. I was going for a meeting in Kaduna (I did a lot of work in the north in those days) and as I kissed my second son who was then an infant, goodbye, I noticed his body was hot and was running a fever. There was no way I was going to leave him alone (I am a hands-on mum). Meanwhile, if I missed the site meeting in Kaduna, it would be a disaster! At the time, I did not have the team I now have, and there was no one who could go in my stead.

“On the spot, I decided my son and his nanny were both coming to Kaduna with me. My husband is very supportive. With one phone call to him, we had it sorted. I had become quite adept at understanding my sons’ symptoms and I immediately called my baby’s pediatrician who was able to tell me what to do. We packed in five minutes, picked up his medication on the way and made it on board the plane on time. We were able to finish the flagship NUB Kaduna building in three months,” she recalls.

Ironically, Adenowo says none of her sons is taking after her career-wise. “Perhaps I work so hard and I’ve made architecture look unattractive. But I find their independence refreshing,” she says amid laughter.

An author of several books including ‘Life spring the Mothers’ Prayer Manual’, her leisure is spent with her family.

“Maybe, I am biased; but I really think they are the best company ever. They are male and they insist they want my company. I have to keep up with paragliding, zip-lining, driving speed boats, snorkeling and other really physical and adrenalin-charged activities,” she gushes.

Her style is quintessential. “Style, for me, is an expression of your personality. I remain true to what I like— the classics— not necessarily what’s trending. You should be comfortable with style and I prefer understated elegance. I dress to suit the occasion and propriety is key. My favourite Nigerian designer is Lanre Da-Silva Ajayi whose studio I designed. What I can’t be caught wearing? A thigh-high boots in Lagos!”

Not plus sized, she exercises sometimes and eats healthily. Does the architect have any beauty routine? “I wish I had one but I keep my skin clean as simply as I can. I have never needed to use anything special or esoteric for my skin or hair. Cleanliness is my beauty routine,” she replies.

Any advice to women as she concludes this interview?

“Have faith in God; pursue your purpose, and your passion. If you must marry, then marry for the right reasons, choose a man who you respect and who believes in you,” she says.


No comments: